Wednesday, July 18, 2012

30 Day Korean Drama Challenge: Day 18



The Worst Kdrama That You've Watched Until the End







Delightful Girl Choon-Hyung


     Until recently I haven't watched a drama that I didn't like. I have definitely watched some that are extremely flawed but they were still enjoyable for the most part. That was until I watch DGCH. I had been planning on watching DGCH for awhile because I have seen it so many times on best drama lists. It was also a drama written by the Hong sisters who did You're Beautiful which I love. The show started out fine but then just got worse and worse and worse. The drama focuses on two high school students, Choon Hyang and Mong Ryong. Choon Hyang is very smart but poor and takes odd jobs to earn money. She has been raised by her mother, who works as a lounge singer and is usually irresponsible when it comes to finances. Mong Ryung isn't that smart and he gets into countless fights. His father makes good money as the chief of police and his mother is overbearing. Due to a series of misunderstandings, Choon Hyang and Mong Ryong are forced to marry in order to evade a scandal. If the show had stuck with this story line then this drama might have been decent. Cohabitation dramas are usually fun. 

      As soon as the two graduate high school the show takes a giant downturn in enjoyment.  It picked up again in the last 3 episodes but it didn't make up for the amount of frustration I was put through during most of the show. I think the biggest flaw with this drama aside from the messy plot is the characters-I don't like any of them except for Mong Ryong's dad and best friend Ji Hyuk. Mong Ryong is such a stupid and annoying character. He spends way too much time with Chae Rin and then he gets angry when Choon Hyang acts cold towards him. If the second male lead was even the least bit likable I would have shipped him like there's no tomorrow but he turns out to be an obsessive, controlling jerk who blackmails Choon Hyang to be with him. And completely off topic but if they showed one more scene of him looking at that stupid necklace I would have smashed my laptop. I totally shipped her staying single. Speaking of Choon Hyang, she wasn't that great either. In the beginning of the show you are lead to believe that she's strong, smart and independent but that turns out to not be the case. She spends the majority of the show telling Myon Ryong that she doesn't like him and to go away. Instead of confronting Chae Rin for being a backstabbing whore she usually apologizes to her or thanks her for taking Myon Ryang off her hands.

     There were a few things that I liked, and I stress the word "few." I loved the pink and grey school uniforms that Choon Hyang and Mong Ryong wore, they were the coolest school uniforms that I've ever seen in any drama or movie. I liked the fusion of the Chunhyangga tale throughout the show. I liked the fact that Choon Hyang made jewelry. As I mentioned earlier, I really liked the dad in this show. I have seen Ahn Suk Hwan in father roles before but this is by far my favorite performance of his. I also really liked the music, it got a little repetitive but I still enjoyed the songs overall. And that's it, those are the only things that I liked in this drama. I honestly don't know how anyone could recommend this much less love it. If this had been the first asian drama that I had watched then I might not have watched another one.   5.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment