Monday, February 11, 2013

2013 K-Drama Challenge: Drama Edition-3rd Genre


Fantasy



49 Days





     49 Days is one of the most unique Korean dramas that I've ever watched. The story is fascinating and this would definitely have made it's way into my top 5 if it wasn't for the ending. I've been watching Asian dramas for almost a year now and although I have loved quite a few of them I can't say as much for the way a majority of them end.

    Shin Ji Hyun (Nam Gyu Ri) is leading a perfect life-She's rich, has a wonderful family, great friends, a handsome fiance and is loved by everyone. Her fantasy-like existence is shattered when she spots her best friend and fiance together and gets into a car accident. While in a coma, a Scheduler (Jung Il Woo) comes to her and gives her a chance to get her life back- she must collect 3 teardrops from 3 people who genuinely love her and are not family in 49 days. Ji Hyun readily accepts this option and believes she can easily get the teardrops she needs in a lot less time. Since she is a spirit while her physical body is in a coma she is allowed to use the body of Song Yi Kyung (Lee Yo Won) while she is sleeping. Yi Kyung is a depressed and suicidal woman with a tragic past that has long since given up on life. Ji Hyun soon discovers that getting the teardrops is a much more difficult task than she originally thought and as she uncovers more secrets from her family and friends she beings to wonder if her perfect life really ever existed at all.

     Aside from the great story line, the characters in this drama were amazing. I especially loved Yi Kung and the Scheduler. Yi Kyung is character that I don't see in a main role very often and I really liked the exploration of her imperfections and her past. Jung Il Woo as the Scheduler was great and one of the main reasons you should watch this drama. Jung Il Woo is a great actor and his character is so unique and multi-faceted. I liked Gyu Ri as Ji Hyun but her performance was the weakest in the entire cast and it was even more noticeable when compared to some of the stronger actors such as Lee Yo Won. I wanted to absolutely love this drama but as is the fate of a lot of kdramas the ending lest something to be desired. I don't want to spoil anything but the finale was completely unsatisfying. It really felt rushed and out of sync with the rest of plot-I'm still confused as to why they chose to end it that way. Aside from the ending I really loved the drama so I will continue to recommend it but with a warning.

   




This is a drama challenge created by http://kp-invasion.blogspot.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment